Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Frisky Pop


Susan speaks:

My best gift from Don was my new "Frisky Pop".

Yeah, yeah, they call it something else but that's because they don't know any better. I'm a big popcorn fan and got real ticked off at Orville R when he changed the size of the microwave sacks down from 3.5 ounces to 3.3 ounces. And didn't tell me and definitely didn't lower the price. I KNOW he did this because when we make popcorn it always goes in the same special popcorn bowls, always up to the top edge with just enough room to stir in the salt and sugar. All of the sudden, the popcorn didn't go up to the top edge. Did Orville think I wouldn't notice? Does he think size doesn't matter when it comes to food? Who does he think he's fooling?

Sugar on your popcorn? Probably you should not do it because once you do, you'll never stop. Although popcorn is good for you (lots of fiber), sugar is not so good for you. But, as we are constantly under Homeland Security's Red/Orange/Yellow/Purple/Blue/Whatever alert, which we all know means "Eat dessert first", I say just go for it.

Now that I've had real popcorn, popped as I slowly whirled it in my "Frisky Pop", I'll never go back to microwave again. I had forgotten how good real popcorn tastes! It's sort of like the difference in taste between the tomato you bought in the store and the warm tomato you just picked off the vine and bit into.

[Nope, no affiliation with the Whirley-Pop makers. Don got mine at BedBathBeyond but they are about the same price at Amazon, where they have a very high review rating.]

2 comments:

Sherry Goodloe said...

I LOVE popcorn! But of course I do . . .I have diverticulitis, and the doctor said I should watch my intake of popcorn, whole kernel corn, nuts, . . . you know, all the stuff that's really good to me.

But with that said, the doctor did not say I couldn't have ANY, so I'm running out to pick up my OWN "Frisky Pop" so I can have some GOOD popcorn when the urge hits!

Thanks Don for getting Susan that Whirley-Pop for Christmas! :)

jet1960 said...

I love popcorn, too, but not microwave popcorn, which I will eat only if it's all there is. My dh will put sugar on his and loves it like that. Mine has to have some melted real butter and salt. Microwave popcorn has a metallic taste to me now. Trying to watch my carb intake now, sadly, to keep from becoming diabetic, so popcorn is a really special, occasional treat.

I may have to get one of these poppers. Looks cool!