Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful


The main part of the Thanksgiving ritual is The Dinner. We've done many of them (paid our dues, so to speak) and we no longer spend two days preparing a massive, coronary-inducing, cholesterol-loaded meal. Instead, we support the local economy and get our dinner from Whole Foods and let them damage our health. As healthy as they pretend to be, they can do a good job of spoiling you -- just ask me about their chocolate parfaits. Anyway, now we spend only one day fiddling and fixing and fussing and yes, it is "we." I'm actually getting to be a pretty good cook.

This is a picture of what our silverware, accumulated from wedding gifts, looked like. It came out of its lined box only for special occasions when there we would have The Dinner. Of course it had to be polished and I never minded doing that. Susan has not-so-fond childhood memories of having to do the polishing for a lot of silver her mother had. Obviously, when you are a kid you'd rather be playing with your cousins instead of rubbing at silverwear with a cloth. Anyway, the silver never got used enough to justify having it so it has moved on to a new family and we are quite happy with our beat-up stainless steel.

We are thankful for all of the good in the world, for all the men and women in uniform and not at home who are trying to maintain the good in the world, and for all of the blog readers all over the world, who tie us all together into one common group, clicking away at our keyboards and touching the world.

2 comments:

Sherry Goodloe said...

Happy Thanksgiving Don and Susan!

I had my share of Thanksgiving (and Christmas) dinners at my home over the years as well.

Since I moved into an apartment several years ago, I just don't have the room to do the big holiday dinners any more. Good excuse huh? *smiles*

However, I still do a nice dinner for the teenage manchild. And no, I don't make him polish any silver for his meal *hee hee*

I'm up this morning preparing the 12 pound bird and then it's back to bed to watch some mind-less television for a few hours.

I TOO am thankful today for those uniformed men and women you wrote of and also the wonderful people I have met through blogging!

ArtPropelled said...

I feel the same way about those gluttonous christmas feasts, but there's no escaping them. Wish we could tip toe off and spend christmas in a little cottage high in the mountains.