Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Jessica Dupuis and My Jessica Book


Thousands and thousands and thousands of tiny ceramic shards, all carefully adhered to a backing. When we go to Houston we always stop by the Center for Contemporary Craft. Resident artists work in studios there and part of their "job" is to have open studio hours. This lets us go in and talk to the artists, to ask them what they are working on, the processes they use to make their art, the inspirations they have.

On my last visit I was lucky enough to visit with Jessica Dupuis, the artist of the piece above (detail at top)   and the creator of the in-process work shown (below).  Jessica shared ideas with me and encouraged me to try what I was thinking about:  A ceramic book.  Susan is always making books of one sort or another so I thought I'd surprise her with a book I made. 


It hasn't been glazed yet because I'm not sure what to do about that. In the meantime, it's a really fragile piece, although Jessica swears her pieces hold up well enough to be shipped to gallery and museum shows. Take a look at more of her work here.  Thanks again, Jessica, for all your advice. Susan loved the book.