Tuesday, January 13, 2015
In November we made it back to New York City and to Washington, DC. for our museum viewing. I frantically worked on pieces for our student art sale - about half of them sold. I kept some for the next sale and the rest are slowly being distributed as Give-Aways. Susan frantically sewed 5 baby quilts and one large quilt she'd promised by Christmas time (well, some of them wound up being New Year's gifts). Right after New Year's we made it to Crystal Bridges Museum without getting caught in any of the winter storms. Later this week we head back to Houston for more museum looking and after that, a day in San Antonio. And THEN, school begins again for me. These pictures are proof that I have actually been accomplishing something.
Susan speaks: Yes, your Blog Wrangler has been less than diligent. Many thanks to the faithful viewers for your comments. Google and Yahoo have been conspiring to make things very difficult, especially commenting on your blogs. Sorry about that but why the hell can't they leave things alone!?! It used to be simple.
He was going to make a New Year's resolution to do more viewing of people's blogs but now he's been distracted by the Fitbit I gave him for Christmas. He thought it would help him lose weight but all he does now is exercise more and then eat more. And life goes on.
Thursday, December 25, 2014
Thursday, November 27, 2014
Sunday, November 23, 2014
Here's another tall neck pot. I think I got a little carried away with the neck on this one. Susan said it looks like something a snake charmer would use.
Our maintenance staff man, Dennis, found this snake skin under his porch. Of course we wanted it.
Peter McFarlane does some really great work with snake skins:
Thursday, November 20, 2014
The Museum of Fine Arts in Houston is actually in two separate buildings with a busy street between them so they put in an underground tunnel to connect the two A sensible idea that becomes a GREAT idea if you commission James Turrell to make a permanent installation in the tunnel, The Light Inside, made with neon and ambient light.
The picture above is what you see as you start along the elevated walkway. The colors gradually change during the day, from blue to red to magenta, so you never know what it's going to be. The only difference in the reality as opposed to the picture is that there is always a guard posted in there to be sure you don't step or fall down off the walkway which is raised up about a foot. The pink square is the wall at the end, you walk toward it and then around it to enter the other part of the museum.
The museum's featured show was Monet and the Seine: Impressions of a River. Yeah, we all know about Monet's water lilies but before he moved to Giverny and did those he painted scenes near where he lived. He actually painted more river scenes (over 100) than he did of water lilies.
The show grouped the paintings by site and subject matter which was interesting to see because you could compare how he changed his view and style depending on the time of day. Also, the show had gathered in paintings from many different sources, both museums and private collections. Below, two paintings of the same site, one painting from the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the other from Mead Art Museum at Amherst College.
Finally, a lesson based on my life experiences. If you go to a park and sit down to eat a banana, don't set it down when you walk away to take some pictures, even if for just a few minutes. Unless you want to share it with a bird.
Monday, November 17, 2014
There's my bike, parked in front of one of our major streets into downtown Austin. Every weekend I find something new is added to the wall. Eventually it will be painted over with tan - a futile gesture, because within a day there will be fresh new street art added. One of my favorite ones was right after it was painted over with tan and someone did the color pours at the top.
Albert Einstein didn't have the mask at first and now he actually has a cap on. We like to keep Austin weird. As the wall says, Sweet.
Thursday, November 13, 2014
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
To our oldest generation:
Thank you for believing that freedom was worth fighting for.
To our youngest generation:
Thank you for volunteering to serve to protect our freedom.
Today, less than 0.5% of the American population serves in our military armed forces. Here's hoping that today, Veterans Day, the other 99.5 % of Americans will take the time to thank a veteran and to thank an active duty service member. They've earned your respect and your thanks.