Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Second Class - Using PMC

My second class was Silver PMC Byzantine Chain Bracelet taught by Sherri Haab and Scott David Plumlee.

One side of the bracelet has been treated with Liver of Sulphur, the other hasn't (yet). I still can't believe I actually learned how to do this Byzantine chain. When I first came into the class and saw the sample I couldn't figure out how it would possibly happen. But after a few tries and some excellent instruction and help from Scott, I finally got the "zen" of the connections. The center piece is PMC silver that I stamped to create texture and then molded into the shape I wanted.

I learned a very valuable lesson in this class. Tools matter. I have all sorts of pliers and tools from craft stores and from hardware stores and I've always thought my struggles with them were just my lack of practice and awkwardness. Then I used Scott's tools. Incredible! How can two pairs of pliers that look so similar be so absolutely different in my hand? I'll be ordering new tools today. Of course this doesn't mean my pieces will look any better, just that I won't have to work so hard.

1 comment:

ArtPropelled said...

I'm so impressed!I wish we had classes like this.