Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sumptuous Sumi


Susan finishes up:

Jill Berry kept us going at a fast pace in Sumptuous Sumi and Other Stories and I'm only showing you these few pieces. I loved everything I made and had a hard time deciding which ones I liked the best. The plan is to incorporate them into books, as the paper we used (Arches Text Wove) is so durable it isn't weakened by the multiple applications of ink and paint. A very fun class. I was lucky enough to be sitting next to Rella, a very talented artist, and we shared paint and tools, confusion and success.

The 2 pieces above started out as one piece of paper, torn in half. Sumi ink was painted on one side (right) and before it dried I pressed the other piece (left) onto it to make a monoprint (mirror image). The two pieces were then painted with totally different techniques.


The second pair (above) is a piece that I tore in half after painting so I could do a little printing on one (right), but obviously I didn't get much extra accomplished. Again, the black is sumi ink.

This final piece was a color blending exercise. There were only three colors of paint we could use: Red, Yellow, and Blue (and white). After my darker sumi ink pieces it was hard to lighten up but I think I succeeded.

That's the end of my classes at Art Unraveled. See you next year!

3 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

These pieces are so effective! A Kandinsky feel about the top 4.

Rella said...

Hello there, table mate....I just loved your independent spirit and bold and amazing pieces. I could not have chosen anyone more fun to learn next to. Now, if I could only remember everything we were taught. Somehow I could not take notes AND experience the class. Bad student...I may have to pick our brain in the future.

I sure hope to see you next year!

Best ~ Rella

Anonymous said...

Cool stuff, Susan - I like them all!!

Gigi