Friday, June 19, 2009

A Head of the Game


I needed a ceramic doll head for a class I was going to take from Thomas Ashman. Susan taught me how to clink on the head to see if it was ceramic or not because most of the ones I spotted at Goodwill were plastic. Then, right next to my favorite Harbor Freight store, I found a Super Saver store (it benefits Easter Seals) and in the "Antique" area was a section of dolls with china heads. So I bought 3. And then decided I needed more. So I bought more. OK, it was for a good cause -- both mine and Easter Seals.

I ripped off their glued-on hair but they all had holes in the top of their heads! Their arms and legs also got ripped off. It's all a work-in-progress right now but this is an interim photo. Susan was sort of wistful about me tearing up all the "baby dolls" but understood that when art speaks to you, you rip.

3 comments:

Diane O. said...

Anxious to see how these turn out...right now a bit on the freaky side. That's probably what they thought about you buying all those dolls.

ArtPropelled said...

Hmm, interesting...

Rebeca Trevino said...

i just came across your photo "A Head of the Game" and i am wondering what you ended up doing with these? I started using doll heads in my art work a few years ago, and love them. (check them out on my blog . . . ) but this week i have been working on a new piece using just the hands (since i have so many of them) will post on my blog as soon as it is finished.
love your work!