Tuesday, October 2, 2012

NYC, Part 3: Matt Greco and Mattiusi Iyaituk


Seeing Matt Greco's tools at the Museum of Arts and Design made me realize I needed to get more serious about my clay work.  He was working on a pot and was very patient and helpful in giving me ideas and suggestions about how to improve my work.  It's always good to talk to an artist who isn't afraid to tell you how he actually creates his work. The picture below is of the piece he was working on at the Museum, the picture below is of one of his completed pieces and below that are two of his photographs, photography being another one of his skills.





In addition to having open studios where you can visit with the artists in residence, the Museum always has an interesting collection of works on display. This piece by Mattiusi Iyaituk caught my eye because of the use of the antler and the amusing faces.




3 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

Both pieces drew me in for a closer look. I like the glaze Matt Greco used and the story behind Iyaituk's sculpture.

Rachel said...

I'm not sure how I came across your blog, but I've enjoyed reading your posts & looking at the pictures! I am a fellow artist-paint, clay, jewelry, bookmaking- pretty much whatever draws me in for a time. The Thomas Mann workshop looked interesting- I saw some of his stuff at Shaw gallery in Maine this summer, while I was taking a workshop at Haystack Mountain School of Crafts.

anyways, I got sidetracked -just wanted to say "nice work"!

Seth said...

Some really wonderful work here. Those open studios are wonderfully inspiring to visit.