Saturday, November 29, 2008

Winter Vacation, Part 3


No, there is nothing wrong with your monitor.

There is a very special exhibit by Pipilotti Rist ("Pour Your Body Out") at the MOMA in New York City and we were lucky enough to experience it. On the second floor atrium a huge round couch is set up, if you take off your shoes you can cross the white carpet to lie on the grey couch (there are bright pink pillows scattered around) or crawl in to the center to lie on the black carpet, otherwise you just lie on the surrounding carpet area. By the time we left it was hard to find room to lie down. There were a zillion museum visitiors just lying on their backs, watching the videos projected on all the walls. And I promise, HONEST, I did NOT fall asleep while Susan wandered in to the other museum exhibits. I was just resting my eyes by closing them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So why are you looking at a blurry picture? Because if you go up to the 6th floor of the museum and look down to the 2nd floor atrium you can see that the couch area looks like the iris of an eye. This is a secret fact and not advertised so you have to take my word for it and see that the picture does show this. Unfortunately, this is is the best picture we took but if anyone else has a better one we'd love to post it.

The cool thing is that for the first time since they opened the newly renovated MOMA the artwork exhibited feels like it belongs in the space. Originally they had Waterlilies by Monet and, beautiful as the paintings were, they were dwarfed by the space. Now, with this weird video and everyone lying on the floor, the space seems special and, strangely enough for New York City, friendly.

2 comments:

ArtPropelled said...

I was wondering why everyone was wearing the same shade of pink until I read the post.

Seth said...

I have heard about this and it looks pretty cool. Thanks for posting the photo.